綜合英語教程第三版4 鄒為誠主編 第二單元p37
1. 瑪麗看到一個賊眉鼠眼的男人走進鄰居家里。 shifty
Mary saw a shifty-eyed man walking into a neighbor’s house. 2. 鮑勃總是嘲笑我對服飾的眼光。 sneer at
Bob always sneers at my taste in clothes. 3. 打探別人的秘密是不禮貌的。 pry
It is impolite to pry into other’s secrets. 4. 我想克里斯想要搶我的飯碗。 be after sth I think Chris is after my job.
5. 她看到克里斯給他使的眼色，說話的聲音便越來越小了。 trail off She trailed off, silenced by the look Chris gave her. 6. 那些樹枝干而易斷。 brittle
The branches were dry and brittle.
7. 收音機老是發出噼里啪啦的聲響，我們幾乎聽不清里面說些什么。 crackle
The radio cracked so much that we could hardly hear what was said. 8. 地面向海傾斜。 slope
The land slopes down to the sea. 9. 他的口袋里鼓鼓囊囊的塞滿了鈔票。 bulge His pockets were bulging with money.
10. 我不得不和出租車司機就車費討價還價。 haggle
I had to haggle with the taxi driver over the fare. 第三單元p58
1. 這樣的好機會千載難逢。 once in a blue moon
An opportunity as good as this arises/occurs only once in a blue moon.
2. 這個孩子因為私自拿了母親包里的錢而覺得十分愧疚。 guilty of
The boy felt guilty for taking money from his mother’s handbag without permission.
3. 她知道他的話一句真的也沒有。 give credence to
She did not give credence to a single word of his story. 4. 一般來說，老師對學生的錯誤都比較寬容。 be tolerant of
Generally speaking, teachers are tolerant of their students’ mistakes. 5. 我想當然地以為你會跟我們一起來，于是就給你買了票。 take… for granted
I took it for granted that you’d want to come with us, so I bought you a ticket.
6. 由于經理的不斷勸導，工作人員很快就改掉了遲到的壞習慣。 break the habit
Thanks to the manager’s repeated counseling, the staff soon broke the bad habit of coming late to work.
7. 他現在對她發火，但不久會原諒她的。這只是幾小時的事，僅此而已。 a matter of, that’s all
He’s furious with her now, but he’ll forgive her soon. It’s just/only a matter of a few hours, that’s all. 第四單元p78
1. 只有通過調查我們才有發言權。 (only)
Only after investigation can we have the right to speak. 2. 我們絕不應當盲從。 (on no account)
On no account should we follow others blindly. 3. 他絕不是擔任這項工作的最佳人選。 (by no means)
By no means is he the best person for the job. 4. 第一次成功絕非是最后的勝利。 (in no way)
In no way was the success in the first round the ultimate/final victory.
5. 別處找不到這樣美麗的景色。 (nowhere)
Nowhere else could one find such beautiful scenery. 6. 他曾多次給了我忠告。 (many a time)
Many a time has he given me good advice. 7. 獻身于祖國現代化的人是幸福的。 (happy)
Happy is he who dedicates his life to modernization of his motherland/country. 第二部分p79
1. 他沒當成歌星，卻成了一位十分成功的商人。 make it
He failed to make it as a pop singer, but he turned out to be a successful businessman.
2. 電影中的動人情節緊緊地抓住了觀眾的心。 capture one’s heart
The thrilling plot of the movie captured the hearts of the audience. 3. 公司要關心的事務之一是確保員工的安全。 one’s concern
One of the company’s main concerns is to ensure the safety of its employees.
4. 退休的總統不愿放棄他的特權。 let go of
The retired president was unwilling to let go of his privileges. 5. 南茜感到熱淚涌入了眼眶。 well up
Nancy could feel hot tears welling up in her eyes.
6. 加強我們關系的最好辦法不是贈送禮物，而是坦誠地交換意見。 strengthen one’s bond
The best way to strengthen our bond is not to give gifts but to exchange our opinions frankly.
7. 如果像這樣開車，你最終要進醫院。 end up
You’ll end up in the hospital if you drive your car like this. 8.雖然我們沒表露出什么，但實際上我們很為她的安全擔心。 in truth In truth we feared for her safety, although we didn’t let it be known. 第五單元p100
1. 如果你不付全部現金，可以用分期付款的方式來買車。 on credit
If you can’t afford to pay in cash, you can buy the car on credit.
2. 我說過要幫他，而這也是我想要做的。我會可守諾言的。 keep one’s word
I said I’d help him and that’s what I’m going to do. I shall keep my word.
3. 我與這家公司休戚相關，不愿看到他破產。 have a stake in something
I’ve a stake in this company and don’t wish to see it go bankrupt.
4. 隨著工業生產的發展，舊的封建制度開始崩潰。 fall apart
With the development of industrial production, the old feudal system began to fall apart.
5. 他很能干，把農場搞得井井有條。 keep something straight
He is very competent and keeps everything straight on the farm. 6. 新的教學體制旨在把學習更多課程的主動權交給學生。 give somebody the initiative The new educational system aims to give the students the initiative to learn more subjects.
7. 在旅行出發之前先要把我們的車子調整好。 tune up
Before starting on our trip we should tune the car up. 第六單元
They are to have their wedding next month. 2.他因為作出了重大發現而將接受祝賀。
He is to be congratulated on his brilliant discovery. 3. 要是明天下雨，比賽就得推遲。 （說話者認為下雨的可能性很小）
If it were to rain tomorrow, the match would be postponed. 4.別灰心，最好的還在后面。
Do not despair. The best is yet to come.
That was in was to sail to the New World of America in the following year. (future in the past) 6. 你們不應當在閱覽室內講話。
You are not to talk in the reading room. 7. 新的交通規則必須得到遵守。
The new traffic regulations are to be observed. 8. 遠征之前路線應該事先計劃好。
The route is to be planned before the expedition. 第二部分p120
1. 女房東告訴我租金必須先付。 in advance
The landlady told me that the rent must be paid in advance.
2. 雖然這家公司鼓吹他們的產品要比其他公司的好，但實際上他們的質量不如人家。 superior, inferior
Although this company boasts that its products are superior to those of other companies, they are actually inferior in quality. 3. 最根本的問題是他們缺少興趣。 at the root of
What lies at the root of the problem is their lack of interest. 4. 警方訪問了一些目擊者，但無人能說清楚這事故是怎么發生的。 come about
The police interviewed several witnesses, but none of them could tell how the accident came about.
5. 百貨商店的新樓不符合安全條例。 conform to
The new building of the department store does not conform to the safety regulations.
6. 她從集郵中得到了很大的滿足。 derive … from
She derived great satisfaction from her stamp collection. 7. 五彩的氣球和旗幟為這個小城增添了節日氣氛。 add to
Colorful balloons and flags added to the festive atmosphere of the small town.
8. 金錢很重要，可是幸福并不總是和財富聯系在一起的。 associate … with
Money is very important, but happiness is not always associated with wealth. 第七單元
1. 他居然當眾說謊，實在丟臉。 It is a disgrace that … It is a disgrace that he (should) lie in public. 2. 他會如此不高興，令人遺憾。 It is a pity … It is a pity that he should be so upset.
3. 惱人的是我竟把票給忘了。 It is a nuisance that …
It is a nuisance that I should have forgotten my ticket. 4. 我們的野餐讓一場雨給攪了，真可惜。 It is a shame that …
It is a shame that our picnic should be spoiled by the rain. 5. 你務必參加這個會議。 It is essential that …
It is essential that you should attend the meeting.
6. 我們應該跟上世界的最新發展，這是很重要的。 It is important that …
It is important that we should keep up with the most recent developments in the world.
7. 大學生懂一點計算機有好處。 It is desirable that …
It is desirable that university students should know how to work with computers.
8. 真奇怪，他竟不通知我們就走了。 It is strange that …
It is strange that he should have gone away without letting us know.
1. 博物館里目前有希臘藝術收藏展出。 on display
There is a Greek art collection on display at the museum at the moment.
2. 他在森林里迷了路，沒有食物，只得靠吃野菜、野果求生。 be reduced to
Lost in the forest and out of food, he was reduced to eating wild herbs and fruit to keep himself alive. 3. 這塊地方被劃出來準備作操場用。 mark off
This area has been marked off as a future playground. 4. 除了蹚過這片泥濘的水域外，別無選擇。 wade